NHS MINOR AILMENT SERVICE
If you fall into one of the categories below you are eligible to register for Minor Ailments:
When you are registered for the minor ailments service your pharmacist can give you medicine for a minor illness or complaint, if they think you need it. You will not have to pay for this.
You will be able to get advice and free treatment (if you need it) from your pharmacist for problems such as:
Acne, Athletes Foot, Backache, Cold Sores, Cough, Constipation, Diarrhoea, Earache, Eczema, Allergies, Haemorrhoids (Piles), Hay Fever, Headache, Head Lice, Indigestion, Mouth Ulcers, Pain, Nasal Congestion, Period Pain, Thrush, Sore Throat, Warts, Threadworms, Verrucae.
Your pharmacist, like your doctor, can only give out certain medicines and products. You may not get the medicine or product you would normally buy.
If your pharmacist feels it is better for you to see your GP, they may refer you directly or ask you to make an appointment at your surgery.
Register at any pharmacy.
Pharmacies across Tayside are now able to offer treatment for certain conditions without the need to make a GP appointment.
URINARY TRACT INFECTION (UTI)
Women with uncomplicated UTI can be treated using Trimethoprim (or Nitrofurantoin in Tayside only)
Females aged 16 - 65 years presenting with 3 or more of the following symptoms, or if both dysuria and frequency are present.
- Dysuria (painful urination)
- Polyuria (excessive production of urine)
- Haematuria (blood in urine)
- Suprapubic (above pubic bone) tenderness
- Itch or discharge
- Symptoms suggestive of upper UTI (rapid onset, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, loin pain/tenderness, systemically unwell)
- Treated for a UTI in the last month and not on long-term medication for UTIs
- 2 or more episodes in the last 6 months or 3 or more episodes in the last 12 months
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Hypersensitivity to ingredients
TREATMENT OF IMPETIGO
Impetigo can be treated using Fusidic Acid 2% under the following conditions.
- Adults and children aged 2 years or older with minor skin infection limited to a few lesions in one area of the body
- Rash consists of vesicles that weep and then dry to form yellow-brown crusts
- Must obtain parental/guardian consent for treating a child under the age of 16 years
- Patient must be present at consultation
- Children under the age of 2 years
- Multiple skin sites, widespread or bullous impetigo
- Signs of systemic illness
- Known hypersensitivity to any ingredients of the preparation
- Had impetigo within the last 3 months
- Presenting with any underlying skin condition on the same area of the body as impetigo
Contact your local pharmacy for more information.
TEXT REMINDER SERVICE
Comrie Medical Centre is now issuing text reminders for appointments to patients who have registered their mobile phone numbers. This means that a text reminder will be issued 24 hours prior to an appointment at the Medical Centre. Please complete one of our forms at Reception to ensure the Practice has your up-to-date mobile phone number, allowing us to provide this useful service. Many thanks.
Action on Hearing
Are you deaf or hard of hearing? Do you wear a NHS hearing aid? Come to our free local drop-in to find out about:
- Fitting new batteries and tubing (we are unable to re-tube OPEN FIT aids).
- Caring for and getting used to your hearing aids.
- The different services that can help you.
- Information on equipment that can help you.
- On-hand help and support from different services.
Please contact the Information Line on: 0808 808 0123 or visit www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk
There is now a Drop-in Clinic running at Crieff Community Hospital on the 1st Wednesday of every month 1.30pm - 3.30pm
It has come to our attention that a few patients have been contacted by someone advising that they require to purchase a Blood Pressure Monitor at a cost of £99, payable in monthly instalments.
We are not aware of any offer from the NHS from or on behalf of NHS Tayside.
We have also spoken to Trading Standards who advise that this appears to be a 'scam' Any patient or member of staff coming across any information on this issue should contact Trading Standards on 0345 404056 quoting Case 14680988
Do you have any used postage stamps at home? We are collecting stamps to raise money for donkey sanctuaries. Please hand them into Reception or pop into the box in the waiting area. Thank you kindly.
May we remind our patients that GP appointments are 10 minutes long. If you have more than one problem or would like a longer discussion then please let us know when making your appointment.
The following dates are Public Holidays. The Medical Centre will be closed on these days. All telephone calls on these dates will be transferred to NHS24:
Monday 8 April 2019
Monday 22 April 2019
If you require urgent attention during this time please dial 111.